Sunday, May 17, 2009

A toilet seat, a box of donuts & red boxing gloves


What do a toilet seat, a box of donuts and red box gloves all have in common? Everything!

One morning, at least a week ago, I was on my way to work. I walked out the front door of my apartment building and there, on the sidewalk across the street, sat a new toilet seat - still in its packaging - and a box of donuts. I chuckled to myself, and thought this is going to be a fun day!

I ride the subway to work, get out at Queen's Park as I always do, and make my way to the escalator. There just ahead of me is a young woman with a pair of red boxing gloves strung over her pack back. I debated whether or not I should ask her about the gloves. Then I thought, what have I got to lose?!

It turns out the young woman studies kickboxing and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Don Ritter's dojo around Eglinton & Laird. I told her I always thought it would be great to learn to box, except the getting hit in the face part! She said she felt that way at first, but she learned how to block punches.

I surmised she was in her early twenties and asked if there were any women older than she in the class. She told me there was an older woman of about forty (!), who was a mother and that she was in great shape!

I asked why martial arts? She told me she liked the workout and how great a stress relief it is. She also commented on how much more confidence she has since she has been studying Jiu-Jitsu.

I told her I have a friend who studied Jiu-Jitsu and that people - mostly guys - often dared her to "take them." She said that happens to her as well, and like my friend, she tries to discourage them.

However, as did my friend from time-to-time, she would have to put them to the mat just to get them to shut-up!

Boys! Huh!